(B.A., J.D., LL.M.)
Life Member -The Law Society of Upper Canada
Honorary Member- Canadian Bar Association
A member of the Immigration Appeal Division of the
Immigration and Refugee Board
|1997 - 2007||
Martinello & Associates
|1992 - 1997||
Rekai and Johnson - associate
Practice restricted to immigration, deportation, refugee matters and
voluntary Federal Court matters of counsel only
|1886 - 1991||
Board member, Immigration Appeal Board and the
Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board
|1982 - 1986||
|1980 - 1982||
Partner, Sherman & Cosgrove
|1973 - 1980||Solo practitioner Scarborough, Ontario|
|1968 - 1973||
Associate and Partner, Bowman & Sherman Scarborough,
OntarioExperience in general practice matters including wills and estates, real estate and
mortgages, criminal law, family Law, business law and election law.
PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
- A paper submitted to the Ontario Bar Association – Citizenship & Immigration subsection Post-Hilewitz Practices and Trends
- Seminar on Immigration Law given to the RCMP Detachment, Windsor, Ontario given on April 7, 2005.
- Frounze v. Canada: Case Comment Ontario Bar Association: Citizenship and Immigration Newsletter: November 2004
- Participant in a panel discussion on “Leave Applications in the Federal Court” Canadian Bar Association –Ontario –Immigration Subsection.
- “The Right of Immigrant Children to Attend School” – an article that appeared in Volume 32, No. 2, 20001 edition of ORBIT –OISE/U of T’s Magazine for Schools
- “What’s New at the Federal Court” – member of a panel discussion on this topic at the OPIC Seminar – Toronto – December 13, 1999.
- “Appeals for judicial review offer two-tiered justice”- article which appeared in the November 15-21, 1999 edition of the Law Times.
- "Overcoming Inadmissibility" – Lecture delivered at the 1999 Institute of Continuing Legal Education – Canadian Bar Association – Toronto, Ontario, January, 1999.
- "Employment Authorizations" – Lecture delivered To Canadian Technical Recruiters Network - Toronto, December, 1998.
- "Update of Medical Inadmissibility" – Lecture delivered at OPIC Seminar - Toronto, December, 1998.
- "To Reason or Not to Reason: That is the Question" – Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Bulletin – September, 1998.
- "Canadian Passports" – Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Bulletin – July, 1998.
- "Judicial Review of Immigration Decisions in the Federal Court" – Lecture delivered at O.P.I.C. seminar – Toronto, June, 1998.
- "Practice before the Immigration Appeal Decision" – Lecture given to the Ontario Professional Immigration Consultant's Course – Seneca College - Toronto, June 1998.
- "Transferring Key Personnel to U.S. Subsidiaries" – C.E.R.C. News – March/ April, 1998.
- "How to Handle a Refugee Claim" – Lecture delivered at a seminar sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association – Ontario, November 16, 1995.
- "Intensive Immigration Workshop" – Seminar leader sponsored by the Law Society of Upper Canada – November, 1994.
- "Appealing Deportation Orders Made Against Entrepreneurs to the Immigration Appeal Division" – Participant in a panel discussion and mock trial – seminar on immigration law – Canadian Institute - April, 1994.
- "Deportation Law – An Overview" – Lecture given to (and Co-Chairman of) a seminar on deportation law sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association –Ontario, October, 1992.
- "A Walk along the Boardwalk" – Lecture given to (and Co-Chairman of) a seminar on "Administrative Law for the Non-Specialist" – Canadian Bar Association – Ontario, October, 1991.
- "Standing and Charter Remedies" – Lecture given to the Canadian Immigration Law and Policy II Conference – Canadian Bar Association – Ottawa, May 1991.
- "Bureaucratic Delay and Immigration Matters" – Lecture given to the Canadian Bar Association - Immigration Subsection – Ontario, 1990.
- "Dust to Dust” Policies for the Preservation of Library Materials" – Focus - Spring, 1989.
- "Charter Law and Immigration" – Lecture for the Canadian Bar Association - Immigration Subsection – Ontario, 1988.
- "The Political Role of the Library Trustee" – Lecture given to a seminar for the Faculty of Library and Information Sciences, University of Toronto, 1987 & 1988.
- "What Makes a Library Well Run", Canadian Library Journal, 1984.
- "Standard of Care in Malpractice Cases", Osgoode Hall Law Journal, 1966.
|2006||Honorary Counsel, Toronto Chapter, Magen David Adom|
|2004 - 2007||Member of the Board of Governors of the Jewish National Fund|
|2004 - 2005||Member - Executive Committee Beth Tikvah Synagogue|
|2003 - 2007||A Vice-Chair of the License Appeal Tribunal|
|2003 - 2005||
Member of the Board of Governors- Beth Tikvah Synagogue
Chairman, Legal Committee – Beth Tikvah Synagogue
|2003||Member- Fitness and Wellness Committee – Bayview Golf and Country Club|
|1998 - 2005||Member – Ontario Professional Immigration Consultants|
|2002||Member – Health Professions Board – now known as the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board|
Membership Chairman – Canadian Bar Association – Citizenship And Immigration Subsection – Ontario
Member – Continuing Legal Education Committee – Canadian Bar Association – Ontario
|1995 -1999||Member – Board of Trustees – Scarborough General Hospital|
|1995||Member – Quality Assurance Committee and Human Resources Committee - Scarborough General Hospital|
Member – Canadian Bar Association – Citizenship and Immigration Subsection – Canadian Bar Association - Ontario
Arbitrator – Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan
A Chairperson, Superintendent of Insurance Advisory Committee
Arbitrator – Ontario Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan
|1992||Instructor in Public Law – Bar Admission Course - Toronto, Ontario|
|1991||Member, Metropolitan Toronto Library Board|
|1987||Chairman, Metropolitan Toronto Library Board|
Arbitrator, Better Business Bureau, Motor Vehicle Arbitrator
Program - Toronto, Ontario
Member, Board of Trustees of the Ontario Science Centre
|1984||Member, North York Public Library Board|
|1983||Vice Chairman, North York Public Library Board|
|1981||Member, The Court of Revision, Scarborough|
Lecturer, Law Clerk Programme
Centennial College, Scarborough, Ontario
|1971||Vice-President – Steelesview Heights Ratepayers Association|
For More Info
Master of Laws degree Osgoode Hall Law School
York University, Downsview, Ontario
|1968.||Call to the Bar of Ontario as a Barrister & Solicitor|
1966. Bachelor of Laws degree Osgoode Hall Law School
Toronto, Ontario (now J.D. degree)
Bachelor of Arts degree Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
AWARDS AND HONOURS
|1999||Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Immigration Law|
|1989 & 1991||Volunteer Service Award, Province of Ontario|
|1980||Appointed Queen's Counsel|
Excellent references furnished upon request.